By Capt. Andrew Derr
In a sport where not a tremendous amount changes from year to year, this thriving industry still manages to create an array of gadgets, gear, and other cool items that annually tempt me and my fellow anglers. This year is no different in that regard and offers delights in all categories from rods and reels to vises and fly lines. Here are some of the really cool items that have caught my eye and that would be hugely welcomed when the holidays roll around. The anglers on your list will likely agree.
- Colorado Fly Works’ Pueblo Vise– The folks at Colorado Fly Works have created a sturdy, well machined and innovative vise, designed and manufactured in the USA. Many of the products that CFW manufactures and distributes are made or assembled by the homeless, American veterans, or support a cause of betterment for others. A portion of each sale of the Pueblo Vise will be donated to Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing to support the physical and mental healing of our disabled veterans. Patented dovetail jaw design. $338.00-$378.00
- Loon UV Infiniti Light– Never buy batteries for your Loon UV light again. When it comes to UV products, Loon is tough to beat. Quality products and excellent customer service make Loon an easy choice for discerning tyers. $59.95
- Sage X 990-4 Fly Rod– Fast action, light in hand, fast recovery. I can’t say enough about these sticks. Wieghing only 3 1/2 ounces, the 9 weight is a perfect striper or permit rod. The 8 weight is a superb bonefish or redfish rod. Stealth jet black finish is slick as it gets. $895.00
- Urban Angler Gift Card– Are the anglers on your list too hard to shop for? Give them this gift card and let them decide how to spoil themselves with the latest and greatest the industry has to offer.
- TafSchaeferDesign’s Permit Belt and Buckle– This Bronze Permit Profile buckle was hand carved in wax, cast in the lost wax process and finished by hand with a golden brown patina; handmade in the USA. $175.00
- Rise Level X 10 Weight Fly Rod– These fast action sticks are the Ferrari’s of the Rise lineup. Stout, fast and light, these beautiful fly rods are workhorses on the water. $449.00
- 3-TAND TX-80 Hybrid Fly Reel– The TX is a hybrid of their Light Tackle Series and the Big Game Series. This large arbor fly reel is fully machined from 6061-T6 and utilizes exclusive Nano CF Drag™. This slick, efficient and durable reel won’t break the bank either. $324.95
Patagonia Men’s Recycled Cashmere Hoody Sweater– Cashmere meet hoody. Hoody meet cashmere. You guys are going to get along great. I could live in this soft hoody sweater for ever. $299.00
- RIO Products DirectCore Flats Pro Fly Line– Built on RIO’s DirectCore, their new flagship saltwater fly line has been designed for anglers hitting tropical flats in search of bonefish, permit and tarpon. Triple color distance marking design lets you know which part of the fly line is which. Nobody knows fly lines like RIO. $119.95
- Flats Fishing on Long Island, NY– Yes, you can stalk fish with a fly or spin on the shallow water flats of Long Island, NY. Primarily a striped bass adventure, flats fishing on Long Island is a great way to sight fish within a 2 hours drive of NYC. $650.00/day