Ron DeSantis announces newly-formed Blue-Green Algae Task Force
By Ed Killer / Treasure Coast Newspapers / April 30, 2019
[dropcap]G[/dropcap]ov. Ron DeSantis announces a Blue-Green Algae Task Force during a news conference Monday, April 29, 2019, at the Nathaniel P. Reed Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge in Hobe Sound. The team will consist of leaders at Florida universities and marine organizations, including Evelyn Gaiser, Wendy Graham, Valerie J. Paul, Mike Parks and James Sullivan.
The focus of this task force is to support key funding and restoration initiatives and make recommendations to expedite nutrient reductions in Lake Okeechobee and downstream estuaries.” — Gov. Ron DeSantis
The team consists of:
- Mike Parsons, professor of marine science at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers and director of it’s Coastal Watershed Institute and Vester Field Station.
- James Sullivan, executive director of Florida Atlantic University’s Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute.
- Valerie J. Paul, director of the Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce.
- Wendy Graham, director of the University of Florida Water Institute.
- Evelyn Gaiser, professor at Florida International University.